‘Sex predators’ convicted of rape in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Two ‘sex predators’ have been convicted of rape after a woman was attacked in a house in Colchester.
Claudiu Ivascu, 23, of Sycamore Road, Colchester, and Nicolae Mihai, 22, of Albert Street, Colchester, were found guilty of rape at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday, following a six-day trial.
The jury were unable to reach a verdict on a charge of assault of a woman by penetration in relation to Mihai.
Both men are due to be sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday, February 11.
According to an Essex Police spokesman, on Friday, April 14, 2017, Ivascu and Mihai were inside a property in Colchester with the victim and were both heavily intoxicated.
You may also want to watch:
The victim had not been drinking.
A police spokesman said that while inside the property, Ivascu had claimed it was his birthday and as a result had made sexual demands towards the victim.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 6 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 7 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 8 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 9 Missing person from Braintree has been found
- 10 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
He said Ivascu and Mihai then raped her.
Ivascu and Mihai were arrested later that day while specialist officers were sent to support the victim.
Investigating officer DC Liv Howells, of Essex Police’s Adult Sexual Abuse Investigations Team, praised the bravery of the victim for coming forward.
She said she hoped the “sex predators” would receive long sentences for the crime.
She said: “I want to praise the victim for her courage not only coming forward and reporting the offence but assisting us throughout the entire case.
“This was a difficult decision for the victim because she knew one of the defendants.
“Today a jury found sex predators, Ivascu and Mihai, guilty and they will hopefully receive lengthy custodial sentences.”
The victim, who cannot be named, thanked DC Howells for her support through the investigation.
She said: “I would like to thank the OIC DC Liv Howells for all her support and I want to express my relief that the defendants are now unable to prey on other vulnerable victim.”