‘Sex predators’ convicted of rape in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Two ‘sex predators’ have been convicted of rape after a woman was attacked in a house in Colchester.
Claudiu Ivascu, 23, of Sycamore Road, Colchester, and Nicolae Mihai, 22, of Albert Street, Colchester, were found guilty of rape at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday, following a six-day trial.
The jury were unable to reach a verdict on a charge of assault of a woman by penetration in relation to Mihai.
Both men are due to be sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court on Monday, February 11.
According to an Essex Police spokesman, on Friday, April 14, 2017, Ivascu and Mihai were inside a property in Colchester with the victim and were both heavily intoxicated.
The victim had not been drinking.
A police spokesman said that while inside the property, Ivascu had claimed it was his birthday and as a result had made sexual demands towards the victim.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 6 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
He said Ivascu and Mihai then raped her.
Ivascu and Mihai were arrested later that day while specialist officers were sent to support the victim.
Investigating officer DC Liv Howells, of Essex Police’s Adult Sexual Abuse Investigations Team, praised the bravery of the victim for coming forward.
She said she hoped the “sex predators” would receive long sentences for the crime.
She said: “I want to praise the victim for her courage not only coming forward and reporting the offence but assisting us throughout the entire case.
“This was a difficult decision for the victim because she knew one of the defendants.
“Today a jury found sex predators, Ivascu and Mihai, guilty and they will hopefully receive lengthy custodial sentences.”
The victim, who cannot be named, thanked DC Howells for her support through the investigation.
She said: “I would like to thank the OIC DC Liv Howells for all her support and I want to express my relief that the defendants are now unable to prey on other vulnerable victim.”