Clubber admits manslaughter

A NIGHTCLUBBER has admitted killing a fellow reveller in a late night brawl in a Suffolk town.Dulu Miah, 23, of Spring Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Daniel O'Connor at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday .

A NIGHTCLUBBER has admitted killing a fellow reveller in a late night brawl in a Suffolk town.

Dulu Miah, 23, of Spring Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Daniel O'Connor at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday .

Mr O'Connor, also 23, of Shoreditch, London, died on May 11 at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge after suffering severe head injuries.

Speaking after yesterday's hearing, his fiancée Susannah Wejszko said she took no comfort in Miah's admission of guilt.


You may also want to watch:


The 22-year-old said: "At the end of the day someone's life has been taken. Whether he (Miah) gets ten years, 20 years or 30 years, it's not going to bring Danny back."

Miss Wejszko said she is still struggling to cope with Mr O'Connor's death. Now living in Milton Grove, London, she said: "This has really mucked up my life. I was with him for six years and that's a long time."

Most Read

Miah and Mr O'Connor are said to have become involved in a fight on the corner of Silent Street and St Peter's Street in Ipswich on May 2. Miah has admitted punching Mr O'Connor once. He is believed to have struck his head as he fell to the ground.

Miah had denied murder, manslaughter and theft but today's change of plea means a murder trial will be avoided.

Simon Spence, prosecuting, said Miah's plea was acceptable to the Crown Prosecution Service and the remaining charges would lie on Miah's police file.

Mr Spence added: "It was a single punch and it is unlikely a jury would convict of murder so the plea is acceptable."

Mr Spence said Miah had also been charged with the theft of Mr O'Connor's mobile telephone but this charge was also to remain on Miah's file and would not be pursued by the Crown.

Judge John Devaux remanded Miah in custody. A pre-sentence report was requested by defence barrister Richard Harvey and Miah is due to be sentenced on November 1 at 10.30 at Norwich Crown Court.

Judge Devaux said he would reserve the case to himself and warned Miah that the fact that a pre-sentence report had been ordered was no indication of the sentence he would pass.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter