Coastguards have a busy weekend

COASTGUARDS had a busy weekend as water lovers made the most of the scorching weather and headed to the coast.

A young brother and sister were plucked to safety off West Beach in Clacton after getting into difficulties as they swam near a breakwater.

The pair were helped by Tendring District Council’s beach patrol team, who saw they were in trouble at 11.30am on Saturday and went to their aid. The children had climbed over a breakwater unaware that the sea was much deeper on the other side.

The pair from London were assessed by paramedics, but did not need hospital treatment.

Senior Seafront Warden Michelle Perry said: “People should be aware that the depth of the water can vary considerably from one side of a breakwater or groyne to the other.

You may also want to watch:

“We would advise anyone to stay clear of these and other structures in the water when they are swimming for their own safety.”

Thames Coastguard at Walton were flooded with 999 calls at about 1.15pm on Saturday after a speedboat capsized half-a-mile off Jaywick beach as horrified sun worshippers looked on.

Most Read

The two people in the speedboat – who were not wearing life jackets – were picked up by people in a dinghy which was then escorted to the beach by Clacton’s RNLI Atlantic 75 lifeboat.

The speedboat was towed to the beach by the lifeboat.

Just over an hour later the lifeboat launched again after the speedboat Waverunner reported it had suffered engine failure and a child on board had sea sickness half-a-mile off Hutley Beach in St Osyth.

Lifeboat crews took the youngster and one adult on board ashore before returning to tow Waverunner into Brightlingsea harbour.

As the lifeboat returned to its station at about 4.30pm it was waved down by a man who was alone on a rigid inflatable boat which had a broken steering cable. The boat was towed from just off Clacton golf course to Martello Bay, where it originally launched.

Clacton’s lifeboat finally got back to station just after 5pm.

At West Mersea, a windsurfer was rescued after a member of the public realised his mast had become disabled.

The man was seen stranded on his board off Waldegraves shortly before 3pm on Saturday. He was picked up by the lifeboat and bought ashore.

Harwich lifeboat was also sent out on Saturday when a boat with four people on board broke down at 12.30pm. The vessel was anchored in the River Stour and was towed to Wrabness Beach.

And the Burnham RNLI lifeboat was also launched on Saturday when a canoeist was seen in the River Crouch near Essex Marina close to a partly-submerged vessel. The canoeist reached the shore unaided at 2.15p on Saturday and the lifeboat crew were immediately sent to a second incident in the Rover Roach. A sailing dinghy had suffered rigging failure with two people on board and was towed to Paglesham.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus