Local fish and chip shop serves up a fresh take on the classic dish
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The Codfather in Sudbury is a popular spot with locals and visitors alike.
As well as being a clever play on words, The Codfather in Sudbury has an excellent reputation, for, as owner Yunus Aslan says: “Serving the best fish in the world.” It was the first of its kind in Suffolk to be recognised with a Quality Award as part of a national scheme highlighting the top fish and chip shops in the UK.
The Codfather is heaving on a Friday and Saturday night with both take-away and eat-in customers. Diners are quick to say it’s the best fish and chips they’ve ever had – not surprising considering it’s no ordinary chippie.
“All of our fish are wonderfully fresh and as well as the traditional offerings there’s a whole range of more exotic dishes including a popular fish curry, scallops and shellfish platters on the menu,” says Yunus.
There’s no denying The Codfather serves humongous portions, and the batter is crispy and grease-free. If you’re looking for something a little healthier, choose grilled fish instead of battered. And if you’re enjoying your meal in the restaurant, expect accompaniments of side salads and generous servings of green vegetables. Salads are drizzled in a top secret dressing – guaranteed to make even the most lettuce-phobic diner enjoy some leafy greens.
You may also want to watch:
The family-run business opened its doors in 2010 as a fish and chip shop, and demand soon grew, Yunus explains: “We previously had a small restaurant attached to the takeaway but there wasn’t a lot room.
“The customer demand was huge so we decided to open a bigger restaurant. When the former florist next door came up for sale it allowed us to expand into the space we needed.” The staff in the rustic restaurant deliver top-notch service, making the beloved British tradition experience even more of a treat.
- 1 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 2 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 5 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 6 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 7 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 8 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 9 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 10 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
The Codfather can be found at 37 King Street, Sudbury, CO10 2EQ.