Colchester-based soldier charged with rape of child in Austria
- Credit: PA
A Colchester-based soldier has been charged with raping a six-year-old girl in Austria while on a training exercise.
The soldier, understood to be a member of the 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, was arrested in the town of Tyrol in November.
He has now been charged with allegedly breaking into the child’s home and committing the sex offence.
The regiment had been on a winter training exercise at the time of the alleged offence.
He is due to appear in court on March 10.
You may also want to watch:
An Army spokesman said: “The Army is aware that a soldier has been charged in Austria following allegations of child sexual offences.
“This matter is now subject to criminal proceedings led by the Austrian authorities and it is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further at this time.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 10 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains