Man fined after birthday party breaches ‘rule of six’
- Credit: Archant
A man celebrating his 35th birthday party in Colchester has been fined - after police interrupted his birthday party for breaching the new Covid-19 “rule of six”.
New laws on social gatherings were brought in by the government to help limit the spread of coronavirus.
Police visited a home in Colchester on Saturday, September 26 evening after reports that more than the maximum six people were gathered inside.
When they arrived, the occupant tried to prevent them from entering by using a line from a popular meme, according to police.
However, the officers entered anyway and shut the party down, sending all the guests home.
You may also want to watch:
The man celebrating his birthday was fined £200 and Essex Police said: “The rules are in place to protect our communities.
“While some may not agree with the current legislation, the majority abide by it and have had to make sacrifices to do so.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
“Those who choose not to continue to put our communities at risk.”