Colchester: Calendar girls and boys take spotlight
YOU’RE never too old to be a calendar girl (or boy). That’s the message from residents at a Braintree retirement complex who have posed in a series of fun photographs for their very own calendar.
The stars, who all reside at The Hawthorns at Meadow Park, include 100-year-old Cis Duhy, who stepped on to a scooter for her snap and Brian Hennessey, shown working out on a crossrobic machine.
Mr Hennessey said: “I think it’s important to stay active in retirement and there are plenty of opportunities to do just that at The Hawthorns. That’s one of the many things I love about living here.”
Fellow resident Marguerite Hayes, who appears in July swimming, added: “We’re a very lively bunch. Anyone who thinks retirement is all about putting your feet up would be in for a shock if they popped in here.”
Other pictures include the residents enjoying a spot of ballroom dancing, playing pool and having a snowball fight.
Relief manager Geraldine Channon said: “Some people might think that retiring is all about taking it easy, but our residents wanted to dispel a few myths and show how much fun they still enjoy.
“Each month shows them participating in a different activity – everything from snowball fights to ballroom dancing, Tai Chi to swimming and golfing to snooker.
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 9 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
“All the activities other than the swimming took place at The Hawthorns – and even the swimming can be enjoyed thanks to the complementary membership residents have at nearby Benton Hall. We doubt any calendar has been produced boasting more years experience among the subjects than our one. Our residents had a great time posing for the pictures.”
The Hawthorns offers rental apartments, which include meals, bills, entertainment and excursions for all residents. To purchase a calendar, priced at �5, call 01376 335500. All proceeds go to the British Heart Foundation.