Police investigating alleged rape in car park
- Credit: Archant
A police appeal has been launched after a woman was allegedly raped by a man in a Colchester car park.
The incident happened at around 4.30pm on Friday, May 1 in St John’s car park in Southway.
The suspect is described as black, with short hair and wearing a black coat and jeans.
He reportedly told the victim he was from California and was in his 30s.
Detective Chief Inspector Julie Gowen, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, has confirmed the victim is being supported by specialist officers and has been given access to specialist charities and organisations to support her.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “This was a really nasty assault and we need to find the person responsible.
“At this stage there is no indication that the victim knew her attacker.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 5 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 6 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
- 10 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
“A dedicated team of experienced detectives are working hard to identify the man involved and have already carried out extensive enquiries.”
Officers have increased patrols in the area and are carrying out enquiries in Colchester town centre as part of the investigation.
Police are asking if you saw anything, recognise the description of the man, have any CCTV or dash cam footage, or any other information, to call them on 101 quoting the crime reference number 42/62437/20.