‘We’ve just been evacuated’ - Reports of a chemical spill brings chaos to Colchester
- Credit: Silent Stampy
Reports of a chemical leak saw buildings evacuated around Colchester Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.
People on social media said they had been ordered to leave the area after emergency vehicles swarmed on the scene in Magdalen Street.
One person said: “A chemical leak - that’s all they would tell us.
“We’ve just been evacuated from work at Gramic Supplies.”
Others have reported Magdalen Street was closed at both ends, as well as Military Road.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: “Just after 1.40pm on Monday, September 17, a man reported that he may have come into contact with a hazardous material.
“Officers attended the Magdalen Street area of Colchester, and put in place some precautionary measures.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 6 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 7 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 8 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
- 9 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 10 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
“Nothing of concern was found and there is no risk to the public.
“The road, which was closed, has now reopened.”
The road closure has been lifted before rush hour traffic in the town centre.