Find out who was crowned this year’s Colchester Chilli Challenge champion as contest heats up at town’s market
- Credit: Archant
Daring spice fans fired up the competition at Colchester Market today as they made it through three rounds of the town’s annual chilli challenge.
First up were scorching Scotch Bonnet and Habenero chilli bowls followed by Naga and Scotch Bonnet chicken wings, before braving searingly hot nachos dusted with Carolina Reaper powder.
The flaming dishes – some of which reached 2.2million on the Scoville scale – were created by Colchester market traders Mex Appeal and Peck.
But it was Frinton man Ross Lilley who claimed ultimate victory, beating nine competitors including Rob Thomas, Chris Strong, Su Quinn and Jessica Fury.
Ross said he wanted to call out his brother Sean Lilley for not entering today’s competition.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The chicken wings were the best I’ve ever tasted.”
The winner took home a £25 Three Wise Monkeys gift voucher and a free meal from Mex Appeal and Peck.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 10 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
Last year, overall winner Lee Wingate was crowned the competition’s first ever chilli champion with a sombrero after a string of gruelling heats.
Among the finalists and semi-finalists were Tom Livingstone, Gabor Balashazi, Sarah Faughey, Ann Wright and Kieron Moore.
Did you take part in today’s challenge? Share your pictures, videos and experiences with us in the comments below or email them to us.