Colchester cycle team raise £10,000 for charity
- Credit: Archant
A Colchester based cycle team has raised £10,000 for a charity close to their heart.
The eight cyclists took part in a six day cycle ride in the USA to raise money for the Rob George Foundation.
The foundation was set up in memory of their son and friend Rob George who died at the age of 21 due to leukaemia.
The charity provides practical and financial support to young people with life threatening or terminal illness.
The cycle team consisted of Rob George’s parents Lorraine and Phillip George and supporters Liz Hornung, Nigel Hughes, Andy Bolan, Becca Harris, Dave Vaux and Laura Sharp.
You may also want to watch:
Rob George’s mum, Lorraine George said: “We now ache in places we didn’t know could ache, but sheer adrenaline, thinking of the difference we are making, and the team’s enthusiasm, pulled us all through.
“As a team we are mighty proud of our achievement but we must also say a huge thank you to our supporters and sponsors, without whom we wouldn’t have been able to raise such a significant sum of money.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
The ride was 325 miles from start to finish and went past iconic landmarks in America.
Rob George’s dad, Phillip George, added: “Never mind the magnificent seven, how about the Rob George Foundation’s Magnificent Eight?
“We rode our very own ‘Wild West’ adventure through heavy winds and intense heat. Our ride took us on an unforgettable journey starting at the ancestral lands of the Native American Navajo Nation in the breath-taking Grand Canyon, through high desert, forested plateaus, canyon rims, historic towns and the famous Route 66 highway.
“And if that wasn’t enough, we completed our ride, safe and sound, in the irrepressible City of Las Vegas.”
The Rob George Foundation has raised £700,000 since 2014 and has provided direct financial support to over 450 young people across the country.