Colchester: Cyclist’s horror accident
A CYCLIST suffered a serious head injury after plunging 14ft in a horror smash at a Colchester underpass.
The 20-year-old man hit a wall at the top of the subway - which runs underneath Southway - and fell onto concrete at the tunnel’s entrance.
The cyclist, from Brightlingsea, was taken to Colchester General Hospital where he remains in a serious condition with a head injury.
The incident happened around 1am on Saturday, at the St Johns Green entrance to the subway.
Sgt Ronnie Stewart, of Essex Police, said: “He’s come down the hill, struck the wall and it’s a 14ft drop from there.”
You may also want to watch:
Police crash investigators sealed off the subway on Saturday morning to begin a probe.
Around midday a mark was still visible on the pavement at the entrance to the subway where the man had landed.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 7 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 8 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 9 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 10 Town set to learn Carabao Cup and Papa John's Trophy opponents
A spokeswoman for Essex Police said: “The man, 20, from Brightlingsea, was taken to Colchester General Hospital by ambulance where he remains in a serious condition with a head injury.”