Colchester: Driver, 87, spoken to by police days before teen death crash tragedy

AN 87-year-old motorist involved in an accident in which a teenager later died was spoken to by police following an incident in a supermarket car park just three days earlier, it has emerged.

Police have launched a probe after it was revealed Colin Horsfall had been spoken to by officers after an incident involving his car at a Colchester supermarket.

But both Essex Police and the DVLA have refused to comment on whether traffic officers took any action after the incident at Tesco in Highwoods on February 4.

Days later the red Vauxhall Astra he was driving mounted the pavement in Head Street, Colchester, and was in collision with 16-year-old Cassie McCord.

The teenager, of Drury Road, Colchester, suffered serious head injuries and was taken to Queen’s Hospital in Romford. But doctors were unable to save the popular student, who was making her way to The Sixth Form College, Colchester, when the accident happened.

You may also want to watch:

A spokeswoman for Essex Police said: “Police investigating the fatal collision in Head Street, Colchester, on Monday, February 7, are linking it to an incident which took place at Tesco, Highwoods, Colchester, on Friday, February 4.

“Police attended the scene at Tesco at 11am and talked with an 87-year-old man who was driving a red Astra car.

Most Read

“No injuries were suffered in this incident and only minor damage was caused.

“The facts have been voluntarily referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission because of recent contact with the man by police officers.

“The IPCC has stated that the issue should be investigated locally.

“The police investigation will establish exactly what action was taken by police officers following the first incident.”

A spokeswoman for the DVLA said: “If someone is not fit to be driving we will take on board third-party notifications. But if it’s from the police we will take action on it immediately.”

Meanwhile Colchester mayor Sonia Lewis has spoken of the impact the tragedy has had on the town.

She said: “I have been out and about over the last two or three days and I have never known something having such an effect on Colchester residents. They are all shocked and their hearts and prayers are with the families.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus