Colchester: Five arrested after fake £10 notes found in town
- Credit: Archant
FIVE men have been arrested on suspicion of fraud after it emerged a series of fake £10 notes were in circulation in Colchester.
Officers have been contacted by retailers in the area over the past few days after being presented with a combination of genuine and forged notes.
Shoppers have also noticed being handed the dodgy notes and asked for refunds.
Two men, both aged 23 and from Colchester, have been arrested and charged with fraud. One of the men has also been charged with being in possession of counterfeit currency with intent and one count of possessing a class B drug.
Three other men, aged 62 and from Colchester, aged 30 from Tiptree and aged 46 and also from Tiptree, were released on police bail until Friday, May 3 pending further inquiries.
Sergeant Jon Butcher said: “The forgeries are of good quality. They have serial numbers of IJ67 339872, PO22 439872 and JK76 319872.
“We would urge all retailers to be extra vigilant over the next few days and, wherever possible, to use detector pens which may assist in detecting the forged notes.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 3 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 4 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 5 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 6 Stu says: Seven observations following Wimbledon win
- 7 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 8 'I'm almost getting fed goals on a plate... there's no better feeling' - Town match-winner Burns loving life at Ipswich
- 9 'We were harshly beaten' - Dons boss on Town defeat
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
“If innocent people find that they have been handed these forged notes, then sadly they will find themselves out of pocket.
“Any such notes should be handed in at Colchester police station.”