Colchester: Inspirational mum loses eight stone
WEIGHING a massive 23 stone her only hope was gastric band surgery.
But now a Colchester mother-of-two has been hailed as an ‘inspiration’ after slashing her weight without going under the knife.
Amanda Shellum lost an impressive eight stone after overcoming her fears and joining a gym.
Her story impressed staff at Gymophobics where she works out so much the company made her its member of the year.
The married 37-year-old said: “I never thought I would join a gym let alone stay and achieve what I have and turn my life around.
You may also want to watch:
“I have changed my life dramatically and my family are delighted with all that I have achieved.”
She added: “Now I am a mentor for other ladies at the gym which I find amazing, I am trying to inspire others to show them with determination and support they really can do it?”
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Donna Hubbard, founder of Gymophobics, said: “Amanda’s story is truly inspirational and really shows that with the right levels of support drastic action such as gastric band surgery may not be necessary.
“For so many people the issues with food are psychological, a gastric band does not fix that problem, but putting people in a supportive and motivating environment can make all the difference.
“For some people gastric band surgery is the only answer but for people like Amanda, exercise and emotional support in a positive and motivating environment can really make all the difference.”