Bird hide destroyed by fire on college grounds
- Credit: Archant
A bird hide belonging to the Colchester Institute has been destroyed following a serious fire on Saturday night, it has been confirmed.
Firefighters from Essex County Fire and Rescue were called to Sheepen Road on Colchester at 8.30pm last night to a blaze on the campus perimeter.
On arrival, the two crews from Colchester found that a wooden outbuilding, measuring approximately 15m x 5m, was completely alight and that the fire had spread to nearby fences and bushes.
Crews spent an hour and a half putting out the blaze and left the scene at around 10pm.
In a statement on Twitter the Colchester Institute confirmed the loss of its bird hide.
You may also want to watch:
It said: “We can confirm that there has been a fire on campus which affected the bird hide on the campus perimeter by Hilly fields.
“No further damage has occurred and the campus is now secure.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 10 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
“With special thanks to the amazing response from the local Fire Brigade who extinguished the fire.”