Colchester man suffers burns to both legs after fuelling fire with petrol can
- Credit: Archant
A man in Colchester has suffered burns to both of his legs after a flashback on a fire he was starting in a pit ignited a petrol can.
Essex Fire and Rescue was called to a house in Goring Road, Colchester, at 8.22pm last night.
Crews at the scene said a man had been in the back garden of his house lighting a small fire in a homemade fire pit.
He had been using a petrol can to ignite the fire, and after pouring on some fuel a flashback occurred which set fire to the fuel can.
A fire service spokesman said: “The man had attempted to extinguish fire by stamping it out and in doing so sustained burns to both legs.
“Incidents like this show why you should never pour petrol onto a fire or BBQ.”
The man was left in the care of the ambulance service for treatment to his legs.
- 1 'Inspiring and brilliant' Suffolk pilot, 21, died from an infected insect sting
- 2 Ex-Town duo sign for League One rivals
- 3 Suffolk school unveils plans for new fitness suite and cafe
- 4 Go-ahead for 1,000 new homes on controversial site
- 5 Much-loved Stowmarket shop to re-open at new premises
- 6 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 7 Revealed: The sell-on fee Town are set to receive for Downes
- 8 Woman rescued after being swept out to sea off Suffolk coast
- 9 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 10 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
His injuries are not believed to be serious.
One fire crew from Colchester put out the flames by 8.55pm.