Colchester: Military musicians sign up to challenge
TIME is running out for people to sign up for a true test of military fitness.
The Paras’ 10 will be held in Colchester for the first time on October 21. The 10-mile run can be completed as a cross-country run in trainers or as the P Company Challenge in boots and carrying a 35lb rucksack.
Around 600 runners have already signed up to the challenge which replicates one of the key fitness tests for the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces by a target of finishing within one hour and 50 minutes.
Among those taking part is a team of 12 musicians from The Band of The Parachute Regiment.
Sue Stewart, who plays flute and piano, said: “We are proud to be The Parachute Regiment’s band and, by testing ourselves against one of the regiment’s fitness challenges, we hope to show that we’re ready to push ourselves as hard as they do.”
You may also want to watch:
The race will take runners through Merville Barracks and Friday Woods, using the same hills and water obstacles crossed by soldiers on training exercise.
Proceeds will go to The Parachute Regiment Charity.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
Visit www.paras10.com to enter