Colchester: MP Sir Bob quashes talk of standing down as he is re-selected
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
One of the longest-serving MPs in the region has said he wants to “quash rumours” that he will be standing down and has announced that he will be seeking re-election in 2015.
Liberal Democrat Sir Bob Russell, MP for Colchester since 1997, was unanimously re-selected in a secret ballot of members of Colchester Liberal Democrats last night.
Sir Bob has been re-elected three times - in 2001, 2005 and 2010 - and with increased majorities each time. At the last General Election his majority, over the Conservatives in second place, was nearly 7,000 votes.
Figures were Bob Russell 22,151, Conservative 15,169, Labour 5,680, UKIP 1,350, BNP 705, Green 694, English Democrats 335, People’s Party Essex 35, and Independent 20 – a majority of 6,982 for the Liberal Democrats over the Conservatives.
Sir Bob Russell received a Knighthood in the 2012 New Year’s Honours List in recognition of his “public service in Colchester.”
You may also want to watch:
Sir Bob said: “It has been a great honour to represent my home town for the past 16 years and I would like to continue if that is what residents decide in May 2015. Clearly I have considerable experience which must count in my favour.
“Although I have a bus pass, I do not feel that I am past it. I am in good health, my enthusiasm is as strong today as it has ever been, and provided my health continues I wish to continue.
- 1 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 6 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 7 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 8 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 9 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 10 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
“I am fortunate that my wife is supporting me; as are my small team of loyal staff, the membership of Colchester Liberal Democrats, and residents who in significant numbers support me from right across the traditional political spectrum which is very gratifying.”
Sir Bob is a former Mayor of Colchester (1986-87) and Leader of Colchester Borough Council (1987-91).