Giant sports park opening delayed again due to Covid crisis
- Credit: Colchester Borough Council
The opening of a new £28.7million sports park off the A12 in Colchester has delayed again due to the coronavirus crisis.
The 76-acre Colchester Northern Gateway Sports Park, off junction 28 of the A12, had been due to open this month, before being put back to Easter after organisers feared it could be “overshadowed by the risk of Covid-19”.
The site boasting a multi-use sports centre, indoor cricket, fitness suite, two all-weather pitches, an archery range and a one-mile floodlit cycle track with six loops will now open on April 26 - subject to virus restrictions.
Theresa Higgins, Colchester Borough Council portfolio holder for commercial services, said: “The Northern Gateway Sports Park is an incredible facility and we cannot wait to welcome each one of you, but we don’t want the opening of Colchester’s newest attraction over-shadowed by the risk of Covid-19.
“Last year we announced that the Sports Park was on track to open Easter 2021, but with the new national lockdown and coronavirus variant there is too much uncertainty for an Easter launch.
“Though all council facilities are Covid-secure, we have taken the decision to reschedule the opening to April 26, should government guidelines allow, with the hope that spring will be a better time for us all.”
You may also want to watch:
The sports park's new state-of-the-art rugby facility will also become the new home of Colchester Rugby Football Club, while there will also been vast green open spaces for people to enjoy - with 500 trees and 31,000 shrubs planted.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 9 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints