Colchester Para killed in Afghanistan
A Colchester-based soldier has been killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence said tonight.
The soldier, from 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, was hit by the improvised explosive device attempting to secure an area in the north of Nad-e Ali.
Task Force Helmand spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel David Eastman, said: “Unfortunately I must announce the sad loss of a soldier from 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment this morning.
“The soldier was part of on-going operations to secure an area in the north of Nad-e Ali when he was hit by an Improvised Explosive Device.
“He was at the forefront of the fight to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan, putting his life on the line to secure our nation.
You may also want to watch:
“We salute his bravery and our thoughts are very much with his family and friends at this sad time.”
His death follows that of another paratrooper last month who gave his life trying to save another.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 10 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
Private Martin Bell, of Colchester-based Second Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, died after he disobeyed a direct order so he could give aid to a wounded friend on January 25.
He was the 350th British serviceman to die since operations in Afghanistan began in 2001.
The 24-year-old was from Bradford, West Yorkshire.