Colchester: Police and Trading Standards raids seize around £10,000 in illegal tobacco products
- Credit: Archant
Joint raids by police and trading standards have searched five buildings in Colchester today, seizing around £10,000 in illegal tobacco products.
Essex Police and Essex Trading Standards searched the buildings as part of Operation Trivium, a nationwide initiative targeting foreign criminality.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Police assisted officers from Trading Standards when five search warrants were executed in Colchester on Wednesday October 22 in connection with suspected illegal cigarettes.
“Two commercial premises and three privates address were searched as part of Operation Trivium.
“Trading Standards officers seized a quantity of cigarettes during searches.”
An Essex Trading Standards spokesperson said: “This joint Essex Police and Essex Trading Standards operation involved the execution of five warrants to three commercial premises and two residential addresses in Colchester.
“Despite an elaborate system to keep the goods hidden, a large amount of counterfeit rolling tobacco and non-duty paid cigarettes were found in a retail premises with the help of a specially trained sniffer dog.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Fire crews spend eight hours tackling north Suffolk field blaze overnight
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 'It's a very exciting time for us' - Suffolk golf club plans submitted
- 6 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 7 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 8 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 9 5 fantastic village shops to visit in Suffolk
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
“One man was arrested and later bailed pending further enquiries.”