Colchester: Police and Trading Standards raids seize around £10,000 in illegal tobacco products
- Credit: Archant
Joint raids by police and trading standards have searched five buildings in Colchester today, seizing around £10,000 in illegal tobacco products.
Essex Police and Essex Trading Standards searched the buildings as part of Operation Trivium, a nationwide initiative targeting foreign criminality.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Police assisted officers from Trading Standards when five search warrants were executed in Colchester on Wednesday October 22 in connection with suspected illegal cigarettes.
“Two commercial premises and three privates address were searched as part of Operation Trivium.
“Trading Standards officers seized a quantity of cigarettes during searches.”
You may also want to watch:
An Essex Trading Standards spokesperson said: “This joint Essex Police and Essex Trading Standards operation involved the execution of five warrants to three commercial premises and two residential addresses in Colchester.
“Despite an elaborate system to keep the goods hidden, a large amount of counterfeit rolling tobacco and non-duty paid cigarettes were found in a retail premises with the help of a specially trained sniffer dog.
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 5 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 7 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 8 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
“One man was arrested and later bailed pending further enquiries.”