Colchester: Police appeal after arsonists destroy caravan
- Credit: Archant
POLICE are today hunting arsonists who targeted a caravan in Colchester.
The owners of the caravan called police reporting the vehicle had been completely destroyed in the fire.
Arsonists targeted the caravan when it was parked at the rear of the owners’ home in Rockhampton Walk on Sunday evening.
A spokesman for Essex Police said officers believe the vehicle was broken into before it was set alight.
He said: “It was only by good fortune that the fire did not spread further and could have been much worse.”
Pc Martin Willsher said: “The victim was extremely fond of the caravan and a great deal of time had been spent refurbishing it and fitting it out.
“The evening this incident took place was when the heaviest snow fall took place in Colchester in the recent cold weather.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 3 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 5 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 6 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
- 7 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 8 Revealed: The biggest carbon dioxide polluters in Suffolk
- 9 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 10 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
“Large numbers of people were out in the area playing in the snow so we are hoping that somebody saw something.”
Anyone with information about the fire can call Essex Police on 101.