Colchester mum has 'new lease of life' after losing over 7st in just over a year
- Credit: Slimming World/Paul Buller
A Colchester mum has lost over seven stone in just over a year to be named Slimming World’s Miss Slinky 2021.
Tansy Arnett, 29, weighed over 18 stone in November 2019 and felt self-conscious about her size, suffered uncomfortable joint pain and found it difficult to keep up with her young son.
Now just over 12 months later she’s lost 7st 3lbs and six dress sizes and has changed her relationship with food.
The primary school learning support assistant, who lives with her three sons and partner Jay in Colchester, says she has struggled with her weight for as long as she can remember and has always used food and sugary drinks as a comfort.
“I tried so many diets and they all resulted in me starving myself, becoming extremely unhealthy and then regaining the weight,” said Ms Arnett.
You may also want to watch:
“It had an awful impact on my relationship with food and I was very much an emotional eater.”
It was after meeting people who had tried Slimming World that Ms Arnett decided to change her ways.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
“I knew I needed something that would help me make a change for good,” said Ms Arnett.
“I have completely fallen in love with cooking again and love trying new recipes.”
Ms Arnett joined the Slimming World group at Highwoods in Colchester.
“I was so nervous. I sat in that first group with a shaky, wobbly lip and my heart beating out of my chest – I had no idea what to expect,” said Ms Arnett.
“Everyone was so lovely though, I was offered a drink straightaway and shown where to sit, and I was soon made to feel part of the family."
Before joining Slimming World Tansy relied heavily on takeaways and fast food meals and enjoyed lots of sugary coffees and lattes with cakes.
Now she cooks meals from scratch for her and her family.
“I used to fill up on rubbish, sometimes to the point of feeling sick,” said Ms Arnett.
“I have three balanced meals a day and I love that I can adjust the plan to suit me and the foods me and my family like."
Ms Arnett’s Slimming World group also inspired her to become more active. She has completed Couch to 5k and loves BOUNCE, a trampoline fitness class.
“I feel like I have a new lease of life," said Ms Arnett.
“Some people have even said I look a bit like Meghan Markle, which is a huge compliment.”
Ms Arnett’s weight loss has inspired a colleague to lose 5st and her sister to lose 2st.
“My advice to anyone wanting to lose weight is to go for it now, because if you don’t, then in a year’s time you’ll only wish you’d started earlier,” said Ms Arnett.