Swimming club launches fundraiser to secure future
- Credit: Colchester Swimming Club
Colchester Swimming Club has launched a fundraising appeal to help it stay afloat after the pandemic hit its income.
The club, which was formed in 1884, hopes to raise £5,000 via crowdfunding, as well as secure further funding from Sport England.
Steve Redmond, chairman of Colchester Swimming Club, said: “When we celebrated our 135th anniversary last year, we had no idea of the challenges that 2020 would bring.
"Crucially, we have been unable to host swim meets, which are usually a significant source of income, to support the growth and development of the club. We are now appealing for help.”
The club has currently raised just over £3,000 of its £5,000 target.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Michelle Young added: "Over the years thousands of swimmers and water polo players have come through this club benefiting from the health and social advantages, as well as the competition, that aquatic sports can bring.
"I hope the good people of Colchester are able to dig deep and secure the future of the club.
- 1 Mapped: The neighbourhoods with the highest Covid infection rates
- 2 More snow could be on its way to Suffolk - but heavy rain expected first
- 3 Incredible home with unprecedented views and access to River Stour for sale
- 4 Man 'moved on' for eating sausage roll on Ipswich park bench
- 5 Covid cases fall by a third in some parts of Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Covid rule breaker travelled from Colchester to Norwich to deliver birthday present
- 7 Warning to motorists after flood alerts issued
- 8 'Mark my words, Peterborough and Sunderland will humble us' - Town fans on Burton win and challenge ahead
- 9 Couple move microbrewery to Suffolk, with plans to expand production
- 10 Call for action to solve flooding problems in Suffolk villages
"Every donation, however small, from the community and local businesses will help. Please give what you can."
More detail about the fundraiser can be found here.