Swimming club launches fundraiser to secure future
- Credit: Colchester Swimming Club
Colchester Swimming Club has launched a fundraising appeal to help it stay afloat after the pandemic hit its income.
The club, which was formed in 1884, hopes to raise £5,000 via crowdfunding, as well as secure further funding from Sport England.
Steve Redmond, chairman of Colchester Swimming Club, said: “When we celebrated our 135th anniversary last year, we had no idea of the challenges that 2020 would bring.
"Crucially, we have been unable to host swim meets, which are usually a significant source of income, to support the growth and development of the club. We are now appealing for help.”
The club has currently raised just over £3,000 of its £5,000 target.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Michelle Young added: "Over the years thousands of swimmers and water polo players have come through this club benefiting from the health and social advantages, as well as the competition, that aquatic sports can bring.
"I hope the good people of Colchester are able to dig deep and secure the future of the club.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
"Every donation, however small, from the community and local businesses will help. Please give what you can."
More detail about the fundraiser can be found here.