Colchester, Tendring & Suffolk borders Samaritans walk with Clare Balding for radio show
- Credit: Archant
Samaritans were joined by a renowned broadcaster at a meeting of their walking group.
Clare Balding accompanied members of the Colchester, Tendring & Suffolk Borders branch of the Samaritans on a hike from Bures to Assington on Wednesday.
Ms Balding chatted with the walkers about their lives and volunteer work as part of her BBC Radio 4 series Ramblings.
Carol Almond, director of Colchester Samaritans, said: “We are thrilled Clare chose to make us part of her new Ramblings series.
“Our walking group comprises current and former volunteers, and families and friends, and it is a wonderful social addition to the serious and sometimes tough job of Samaritans volunteers supporting people in crisis.”
You may also want to watch:
The Colchester Samaritans episode is due to air on Thursday March 3.
Virginia Druitt and Sue Dixon, who organised the day’s walk for Ms. Balding, said: “It was wonderful to share time with Clare.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 10 Photos released in connection with two indecent exposure incidents
“Clare loved the walk we chose, and she was very interested in our work as volunteers.
“We all look forward to hearing the final broadcast programme.”
Ms Balding said: “I am delighted to have had the chance to walk and talk with your very supportive group. And along the way I have learnt a great deal about the tremendous value of the work that Samaritans volunteers do.”
The Colchester Samaritans Walking Group was formed in 2011, following a hugely successful National Samaritans Walk around Nayland and hosted by the Colchester branch.
In June 2017 the Colchester branch is again hosting the National Samaritans Walk, which will see volunteers and supporters from around the country coming to walk around the Essex and Suffolk borders’ countryside.