Colchester: Thousands attend food and drink festival
THOUSANDS of people descended on a north Essex town at the weekend to drink in the sights and sounds of a popular food festival.
The ninth annual Colchester Food and Drink Festival showcased the best local and world produce over the course of the two-day event.
Set against the backdrop of the town’s castle, the organisers said that 6,000 people attended yesterday and 12,000 on Saturday.
Organiser Don Quinn said: “I am so amazed by the wonderful spirit of the British in the rain. It’s the most numbers I have ever seen in the park.
“We have had lots of nice music on the Sunday. There’s been a lovely family atmosphere, it’s a smashing event.
“We have had two marvellous, amazing days. People danced in the rain and the mud.”
Music and dance acts also performed in Lower Castle Park, which covers nine-and-a-half acres of land. More than 120 stalls were scattered around the site as people had the chance to saviour a wide variety of food and drink.
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 3 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 9 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 10 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
Bands, dancers, samba and zumba groups were all playing to the crowds as they walked around.
Upper Castle Park will also host this year’s Colchester Oyster Festival on Saturday, September 1.