Colchester: Woman denies hitting pair with handbag in alleged town centre brawl over hair extension row

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court - Credit: Archant

An Essex woman has denied hitting her partner’s former girlfriend in the face with her handbag and grabbing her hair during a late night brawl which took place in Colchester town centre.

Jade Thorne claimed that she was forced to push Louise Bennett and her friend Rebecca Byde in the face after they grabbed hold of her bonded hair extensions which had cost more than £200.

Ipswich Crown Court has been told that Miss Bennett, 21, suffered bruising and swelling to her cheek and eye during the alleged attack which happened after she and a friend left the Missoula Bar in Head Street in the early hours of the morning.

Thorne, 20 of Edison Gardens, Colchester, has denied assaulting Miss Bennett causing her actual bodily harm and an offence of assault by beating on Miss Byde on December 23.

Simon Gladwell, prosecuting, told the court that Miss Bennett and Miss Byde had left the bar and were about to get into a taxi which they had ordered when they allegedly became involved in a verbal argument with Miss Thorne.

As Miss Bennett walked away, Thorne allegedly chased after her and struck her on the right side of her face with her handbag and grabbed her hair.

Miss Byde ran to help her friend and had grabbed Thorne by the hair and pushed her away from Miss Bennet at which point Thorne had allegedly hit her in the eye and “clawed” at her face.

Most Read

Giving evidence, Miss Bennett told the court that she had previously been in a relationship with Thorne’s boyfriend, but denied that she didn’t like Thorne and had a problem with her because she was now going out with her former partner.

Miss Bennett claimed that as she and Miss Byde were about to get into a taxi her ex-boyfriend, or a man who was with him, had asked if they and Thorne could share their taxi.

Miss Bennett claimed that Thorne had come over and got into the taxi and she and Miss Byde had decided to get another taxi when they realised there wasn’t enough room for all of them.

“I wasn’t happy about it but I thought that it was the easiest way out of the situation,” Miss Bennett said.

As she started to walk off Miss Bennett claimed that Miss Thorne had got out of the taxi and had shouted at her: “What’s your problem?”.

Miss Bennett had sworn at her and she was then allegedly attacked by Thorne.

Giving evidence, Thorne claimed that Miss Bennett and Miss Byde had been verbally abusive to her and she had pushed Miss Bennett and Miss Byde away to defend herself after they grabbed hold of her hair.

The trial continues.