Colchester: Zoo’s new meerkats named after TV celeb Louie Spence
MEERKAT pups born at Colchester Zoo with a spring in their step have been named after a celebrity dancer.
The zoo’s latest arrivals, born on January 29, have been named Louie and Spence after the dancer who shot to fame on Sky One’s series Pineapple Dance Studios.
Keepers at the zoo decided to name the pups after Louie Spence when they saw the youngsters scampering around their enclosure while appearing to be trying out a few dance steps.
On hearing of the new meerkats, Louie, who is a fan of the popular Essex attraction, said: “I’m delighted to hear that baby meerkats Louie and Spence are doing so well.
“I’m hoping to be able to get over to see them soon before they get too big!”
You may also want to watch:
Visitors to the zoo this half term will be able to see Louie and Spence as well as a number of other attractions.
Activities have been planned to celebrate Primate Awareness Week, running from February 19 to 27, which includes the chance to enjoy a number of fun feeds, training sessions and chances to meet and chat to specialist keepers.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 8 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 9 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
- 10 A12 reopened after three-car crash