Ex-convict kicked, spat, and tried to headbutt police following arrest

The police investigation centre at Martlesham Heath headquarters. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR

The police investigation centre at Martlesham Heath headquarters. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR

Police used a spit guard to restrain a man who lashed out at an officer while being arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour in Woodbridge.

Michael Gregory was restrained after kicking a constable in the face while being loaded into the back of a police vehicle.

The 42-year-old appeared before magistrates in Ipswich with a bag packed, prepared to return to jail, where he began an indeterminate sentence for robbery and assault in 2005.

Gregory, of Copse Road, Netherton, West Midlands, was subject to conditions of release on licence when he was visiting his partner in Suffolk.

On March 24, police were called to reports of a man shouting and swearing in Cumberland Street.

Prosecutor Lesla Small said: “Mr Gregory was getting in the face of a young female.

“They moved him away and put him in the back of a police vehicle to gain his details.

Most Read

“He was heavily intoxicated and was arrested when he continued swearing.

“When he began to resist, he had his legs lifted into the vehicle.

“The officer saw a look on his face as he drew back his right foot and kicked out.

“The officer managed to move his head, but not in time to avoid Mr Gregory’s foot connecting with his chin.

“Mr Gregory continued to be aggressive on the way to the station, where he attempted to headbutt an officer and spat out, resulting in him being fitted with a spit guard.”

Gregory had been ordered to carry out unpaid work in the community for assaulting two police constables in 2015.

Before his arrest in Woodbridge, he was in community based rehabilitation with the Changes UK support service.

The court heard Gregory had missed the train home and decided to drink on the evening of the offences.

On Monday, he admitted drunk and disorderly behaviour and assaulting a police constable.

The probation service said Gregory had completed the first period of rehabilitation and had been given more freedom, becoming a peer to other service users, until being asked to leave the service after admitting drinking alcohol as a result of an argument with his partner.

Gregory was handed an 18-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay the officer he assaulted £100 in compensation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter