Conservative leadership race: Johnson and Hunt now in showdown for PM
- Credit: PA
Either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt will be the next Prime Minister - who are Suffolk and Essex MPs backing in the race?
After five ballots of Tory MPs, the 1922 Committee have revealed that the two candidates to be chosen between are the former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and the current Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove was eliminated from the final round of voting after receiving two votes less than Mr Hunt. Home Secretary Sajid Javid was knocked out of the race earlier on June 21.
The final results are below:
Michael Gove 75 - OUT
You may also want to watch:
Jeremy Hunt 77
Boris Johnson 160
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
One ballot was rejected, but as the result is a secret ballot it will not be revealed who spoiled theirs.
How will Suffolk MPs be voting?
After being among a select group of 313 MPs to pick the final two, now Suffolk Conservative MPs vote alongside Tory members to decide who will win the contest on July 22.
Jo Churchill: Bury St Edmunds - Churchill has remained silent but is believed to be backing Jeremy Hunt in the race for No.10.
Peter Aldous: Waveney - Having previously backed Michael Gove, Mr Aldous has told this paper he will consider who to support and make his choice public in the coming days.
Therese Coffey: Suffolk Coastal - Announced her support for Boris Johnson on June 12 had has tweeted in support of him since the final ballot was announced.
Matt Hancock: West Suffolk - Switched to backing Boris Johnson after withdrawing from the leadership race himself.
Dr Dan Poulter: Central Suffolk and North Ipswich - The latest announcement from Suffolk MPs. After final two candidates announced he declared he will back Boris Johnson for PM.
James Cartlidge: South Suffolk - Has tweeted in support of Jeremy Hunt since the final ballot, and has publicly backed Hunt since June 11.
And Essex MPs?
Priti Patel: Witham - Has backed Boris Johnson publicly since June 9.
James Cleverly: Braintree - Dropped out of the leadership race before the first ballot to back Boris Johnson.
Giles Watling: Clacton - Never publicly declared and has said he will "continue playing his cards close to his chest" as the party chooses a new leader.
Bernard Jenkin: Harwich and North Essex - Backing Johnson to win the leadership race.
Will Quince: Colchester - Believed to be backing Jeremy Hunt after coming out to support him on Twitter before the week's ballots.