Convicted paedophile arrested in Kesgrave Hall and north Wales child abuse inquiries took his own life two days later, inquest told

Child abuse suspect took his own life

Child abuse suspect took his own life - Credit: Archant

A convicted paedophile suspected of sexually abusing young boys at the former Kesgrave Hall school and in north Wales care homes took his own life two days after being arrested, an inquest has heard.

The hearing at the Medico Legal Centre in Sheffield was told ex-Kesgrave Hall care worker Kenneth Wheatley - previously known as Kenneth Scott - had left a suicide not before walking in front of a train travelling between Silkstone and Dodworth, near Barnsley on April 12.

The 62-year-old died at the scene after suffering multiple injuries.

His death occurred following his arrest and release on bail by officers from Suffolk Constabulary and the National Crime Agency.

Train driver Kenneth Waterman said he had been travelling at around 45mph, when a man stepped into the track.

He sounded his horn and applied the brake as the train slid towards the man.

British Transport Police officer Pc Emma Wiliamson who investigated the death said there were no suspicious circumstances.

Most Read

The officer also explained she had discovered a suicide note at Mr Wheatley’s home in Cliffe Crescent, Dodworth, although any details within it were not given.

Assistant coroner Louise Slater recorded a verdict that he had taken his own life.

Mr Wheatley, a former care worker, had been questioned by police involved with the Kesgrave Hall child sex abuse inquiry.

He had worked at the private boys’ boarding school in Ipswich, Suffolk. The school closed in 1993 after a previous police inquiry in 1992

He was also questioned as part of the National Crime Agency inquiry into child abuse in north Wales care homes in relation to offences said to have taken place in 1976 against a boy aged 13 or 14.

These were the same care homes owned by John Allen, 73, of Foxglove Avenue, Needham Market, who was jailed for 11 years earlier this month after being convicted of abusing 19 children between 1969 and 1991.

Mr Wheatley had been arrested on suspicion of indecent assault and died two days later.

He had previously been jailed for eight years in Leicestershire in 1986 for buggery and gross indecency.

His whereabouts were listed as unknown 14 years ago following Sir Ronald Waterhouse QC’s ‘Lost in Care’ inquiry into abuse in north Wales.

Scott’s name was on a list of 28 people sought by the Department of Health in 2000.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter