Corrie Mckeague’s mother is confused as to why he has not yet been found at landfill site
PUBLISHED: 08:12 06 May 2017 | UPDATED: 11:43 06 May 2017
The mother of missing airman Corrie Mckeague is still confident her son will be found at a landfill site despite the search area believed to hold the key to his disappearance throwing up no clues.
As the search for Corrie almost enters its 10th week, police have completed work on the section that was originally identified at the Milton landfill site and have expanded to peripheral areas.
The 23-year-old from RAF Honington went missing after a night out in Bury St Edmunds more than seven months ago and efforts to discover what happened to him are so far inconclusive.
He was last spotted on CCTV at 3.24am on September 24 and police believe he may have ended up in a bin lorry that collected rubbish from the Greggs bakery and took it to the landfill site.
Corrie’s mother Nicola Urquhart said: “I obviously really still think he’s there [landfill site]. Police can only go on the information they have been provided.”
The search of the landfill site was scheduled to take about 10 weeks and officers have now cleared 3,000 tonnes of waste.
Mrs Urquhart said: “I’m obviously extremely glad they are taking the time to completely check the entire cell, but at the same time I think obviously everybody is so confused.
“The police were so confident they were given precisely the right location for this rubbish and it doesn’t appear they have found anything.”
She added: “I think this is probably going to be the longest week of our lives just waiting for next week to end.”
A Suffolk police spokesman said: “As the search has been carried out officers have found material that have indicated they are in the right area – finding waste that was clearly identifiable as being from Bury St Edmunds, and within the right time frame.
“However, towards the edges of the area it has also been noticed that the waste may have naturally shifted from the original deposition area.
“Police are expanding the search parameters to take this into account and the search will be continuing as the tenth week of work on site gets underway on Monday.
“Throughout the search, the work being completed has been reviewed. This remains a continuing process, with a number of factors including the dates on items being found and advice from both the police search advisor and the site team being taken into account.
“The officers carrying out the search have been working extremely hard in difficult circumstances – with the nature of the waste being searched through, safety considerations, the weather and the depth of the search required presenting a number of daily challenges.
“Throughout the search Corrie has very much been in the forefront of officers’ minds.
“Enquiries have been continuing while the search has been going on at Milton, with officers gathering further information about Corrie’s lifestyle and background.”
The total spend on the investigation to date is estimated at more than £1million.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.