Cotton: Landlord of village pub denies assault
A LANDLORD of a rustic village pub has denied elbowing a policeman in the face and resisting arrest.
Steve McQueen, of the Trowel & Hammer Inn in Mill Road, Cotton, Stowmarket, appeared yesterday at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court charged with assaulting and resisting a constable in the execution of his duty.
The 39-year-old is also accused of a third count of using threatening, abusive or insulting words within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.
McQueen, dressed in an open-necked striped white shirt, spoke only to confirm his name and address and deny the three charges against him.
Rosalind Cappleman, for the prosecution, said police were called to the partly-thatched pub after being called by a member of the public on the evening of July 25. Mrs Cappleman alleged in court that the defendant resisted arrest and assaulted Pc Duncan in the nose and also swore and shouted “inbreds” while being in a public place.
You may also want to watch:
McQueen, who was represented by Helen Korfanty, was told he would face a trial on November 7.
The Trowel & Hammer was reopened by McQueen and Nick Doherty in June 2011 after the pub had been closed for more than a year.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 9 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
The landmark pub, which boasts a selection of local ales and a two rosette chef, has recently been refurbished throughout.