Could this be the best summer job in Suffolk? RNLI recruits lifeguards to patrol beaches in Southwold and Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
Recruitment opened this week for what is claimed to be “Suffolk’s best summer job”.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) is looking for strong swimmers with good fitness levels to patrol beaches at Southwold and Lowestoft and is holding a series of tryouts this month.
The call comes as new figures released this week show that Suffolk’s lifeguards dealt with 109 incidents, rescued five people and saved one life in 2014. They also gave first aid 69 times and found 13 missing children.
The RNLI said it is seeking candidates who match its core values of being courageous, selfless, trustworthy and dependable.
Successful applicants will receive “world-class” training in search and rescue, lifesaving and casualty care techniques, which the charity says will “wow future employers”.
You may also want to watch:
Vincent Pank, the RNLI’s lifeguard manager, said: “Being an RNLI beach lifeguard is not only Suffolk’s best summer job – it’s got to be Britain’s best summer job as well. The beach is your office.
“You get paid to train and practice how to save people from drowning, as well as first aid skills, so you’re ready to leap into action and save a life at a moment’s notice.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“Lifeguards come from all walks of life, including teachers, business owners and gap year travellers, but we do recruit a lot of university and college students because it’s a seasonal job. So, if you’re thinking about stacking shelves or temping in an office this summer, think again.
“Why not swap the shirt and tie for shorts and sunglasses and see if you’ve got what it takes to be a beach lifeguard with the RNLI?”