Council leaders vow to ‘redouble efforts’ on road safety after death of Dr Ronak Patel
- Credit: Archant
Community leaders have expressed their sympathies following the latest fatal crash on Suffolk’s roads.
Dr Ronak Patel, aged 33 of Ixworth, died following a collision between a lorry and the Volkswagen Golf he was driving yesterday morning.
John Griffiths, borough councillor for Ixworth, said it was a “tragedy” for the residents of Ixworth and Honington, adding: “My thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends.”
Mr Griffiths, who is also leader of St Edmundsbury Borough Council, said he could not help noticing a lot of the road deaths have been on west Suffolk’s roads.
He added: “We will be redoubling our efforts to work with the highways department at Suffolk County Council to ensure that the transport and roads in west Suffolk are improved, given both the current need and future pressures on those with all the new housing and jobs.”
You may also want to watch:
Joanna Spicer, Suffolk County Councillor for the Blackbourn Ward, which covers Ixworth and Honington, said the accident was an “awful tragedy”.
“Every incident like this is an awful tragedy. There are not that many accidents on that road and I have worked very hard over my 25 years as councillor to make improvements to the A1088. I no longer regard it as an unsafe road – but if there are any improvements or lessons learned that the police or the county council can take from this, I will try and ensure they are made.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 5 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 9 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
“There are several speed limits along the road and it has recently been resurfaced. It is not a very wide road though.
“It is such a terrible thing to happen.”