Could you stand as an East Suffolk councillor in 2019?
- Credit: Archant
People across east Suffolk are being urged to consider standing for election for 2019 as two district councils merge.
From April 2019, Suffolk Coastal and Waveney district councils will merge to become East Suffolk Council – the largest district authority in the country.
The new council will be served by 55 councillors across 29 wards, and now locals are being asked to consider standing for election in May’s ballots.
Stephen Baker, chief executive for the two councils said: “We are looking for people who are interested in the exciting challenge of becoming one of the first ever East Suffolk councillors.
“Our new councillors need to be passionate about local issues, energetic and committed to making a difference to the lives of local people.
You may also want to watch:
“Councillors play an important role in making sure the voices of a community are heard and the needs of local people are met.
“There are no formal qualifications needed and we would encourage anyone meeting the eligibility criteria to consider standing for election; anyone elected for the first time will be given all the training and support they need.”
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
To stand, applicants must be aged at least 18, be a UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen, and either be registered to vote in the district, work or live there for 12 months or more, or have been a land owner or tenant in the district for 12 months or more.