Councils to give students a taste of working life in public sector
- Credit: Archant
An innovative scheme to give graduates and undergraduates a taste of working for a Suffolk local authority is being launched
More than 20 paid internships are being created across Suffolk’s local authorities during the summer – and students have until the end of January to apply for a place.
The internship programme is designed to encourage young people to take up careers in the public sector and to provide paid opportunities for undergraduates or graduates to experience working for local government during their summer break from university.
The county is also creating two paid 12-month industrial placements are also available, putting the successful candidate at the forefront of innovative and exciting developments in waste management and economic development and skills policy.
Lisa Chambers, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for education and skills, said: “As part of our commitment to Raising the Bar, I want all young people in Suffolk to be well prepared to enter the workplace and make a successful transition from education into sustainable employment.
“As an employer, the county council can support this ambition, by putting in place a programme of opportunities and workplace experiences for young people that is of exemplar practice.
“This means that, with our partner councils, we are looking at ways of making local government attractive to young people and position ourselves as employers of choice.”
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Matchday Live: Needham Market v Ipswich Town team news and updates
- 3 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 4 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 5 Needham Market 0 Ipswich Town 7: Chaplin nets hat-trick
- 6 McKenna: Pre-season results are not important
- 7 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 8 Project to keep Suffolk pub 'protected for years' turned down
- 9 Town haven't taken option to sign Bakinson
- 10 Where you can see the Battle of Britain memorial flypast today
Details of the internship opportunities can be found on the new Rising High website via: www.risinghighsuffolk.org.uk
The internships will start in the summer of 2015. The closing date for applications is Friday 30 January 2015.