Couple feared dead after blaze
THE bodies of two people have been discovered inside an industrial unit following a fire which wrecked the building, police said tonight.A single body was initially discovered after fire crews forced entry to a locked premises at a business park in Waltham Abbey, Essex.
THE bodies of two people have been discovered inside an industrial unit following a fire which wrecked the building, police said tonight.
A single body was initially discovered after fire crews forced entry to a locked premises at a business park in Waltham Abbey, Essex.
Tonight a police spokesman said: "It has been confirmed that two bodies were on a mezzanine floor within the building.
"Because of the dangerous conditions it is not possible to confirm the gender of either body.
"It is known that a young couple had been living in the unit but until positive identification is carried out we cannot release more information about them. Police are talking to the relatives of the couple."
The cause of the fire is unknown, added police. Detectives have launched an investigation into the deaths.
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 5 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 6 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 7 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia
Police forensic teams and fire investigators were tomorrow due to carry out a thorough search of the building once it has been made structurally safe.
The blaze had made the building too dangerous for a detailed search to take place today, said a spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
Station Officer Martin Pullen said fire crews were called to the blaze at Selwyn Wholesale Bulk Tape Winders at 5.30am.
He said: "We had been three for about 45 minutes when we were told by the occupiers of a neighbouring unit they believed that people were inside.'