Couple flee cellar fire drama
Fire ripped through the cellar of a house in London Road after an electrical fault sparked a severe blaze last night.
IPSWICH: Fire ripped through the cellar of a house in London Road after an electrical fault sparked a severe blaze last night.
Terry Cullum, 62, was watching television with his partner, June Turner, at 9.45pm when the set flickered.
When Mr Cullum went to check the trip switch in the basement, he was confronted with flames.
“I walked down to the cellar and there were flames and smoke down there,” he said. “The circuit board was just on fire.
You may also want to watch:
“I tried to fight it with a fire extinguisher but it wasn't worth it. We just had to get out.”
Mr Cullum lives in the ground-floor flat of the three-storey town house.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 7 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 8 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
Luckily, both Mr Cullum and his partner, as well as the two tenants of the flat above, escaped the building unharmed.
Two fire crews from Prince's Street station in Ipswich wore breathing equipment and used a thermal imaging camera as they fought the fire, which was contained to the basement.
Despite getting the fire under control in a matter of minutes, the entire house was damaged by the smoke.
Group manager Geoff Pyke, Ipswich district commander for the fire service, said: “This was a severe fire of an electrical nature.
“Smoke has filled the building.
“Electrics can be very dangerous so we would advise anyone to call the fire brigade and get out.”