Car crashes into power cables - cutting electricity to nearby homes
- Credit: Archant
A car crashed into a power line near Mildenhall Academy in the early hours of this morning - cutting electricity to a number of homes in the area.
A police spokesman said officers had been called to the scene on the crash, on Bury Road (A1101), at around 1am on Sunday, December 15.
Tweeting soon after the incident, the Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing team said the driver fled the scene of the crash but was later arrested.
They said: "Vehicle crashed tonight cutting out the power to many houses near to Mildenhall Academy.
"A great team effort from @NSRAPT and @MildnhallPolice meant the driver who had fled was located and arrested."
You may also want to watch:
Engineers from UK Power Networks were sent to Bury Road to restore the power.
As of 10am today, all but one of the homes have now had their electricity restored.
- 1 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
A spokesman for UK Power Networks said: "Thank you for your patience while our engineers have made partial repairs to the overhead cable, in the Bury Road area.
"We have now restored power to all but one property.
"We're sorry for any disruption this power cut caused."