Kitchen fire at Buttermarket bowling alley
PUBLISHED: 11:39 11 July 2019 | UPDATED: 12:54 11 July 2019
Firefighters have been called to a kitchen fire in the Buttermarket shopping centre in Ipswich.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at around 10.40am today, Thursday, July, 11 to a 'small fire' in one of the kitchens in the town centre shopping complex.
According to Simon Hurst, station commander, the fire broke out in the Superbowl UK bowling alley in the complex.
"We were called to a fire in Superbowl UK, the bowling alley, within the Buttermarket complex," he added.
"They had a fire within their kitchen area.
"The sprinkler system had gone off within the property and we've been here making sure that the fire doesn't spread anywhere else within the building and helping with some of the clear up of the water from the sprinkler system.
"The sprinkler system did its job, put the fire out, put the fire into check, and we're just making sure that nothing has spread beyond the kitchen in the bowling alley.
"Because of the size of the building, we class it as one of our high rise buildings, so we send a pre-determined attendance and until we know what has happened inside we let all the fire engines attend and get rid of them if we don't require them at the incident.
"All we're doing now is mopping up some of the water from the sprinkler system in the bowling alley, there's been a bit of leakage down into TK Maxx, which again we're just helping staff within the facility clean that up."
Seven fire engines were initially sent to the scene, although four were soon stood down.
Three engines, two from Princes Street and one from Needham Market, remain on scene.
A fire service spokesman said the blaze was out when firefighters arrived after the sprinkler system was activated.
She said: "There was a fire in a kitchen area in the shopping complex. "It was out on arrival due to the sprinkler system. "Crews remain on scene assisting staff with water removal and salvage to help clear things up."
Representatives for Superbowl UK said they are aware of the fire at the Ipswich bowling alley.
Among those in the bowling alley at the time were pupils from a local school.
Staff from the school, who asked not to be named, said that Superbowl staff had reacted quickly to get them out of the bowling alley and kept them up to date as the situation changed.
"We were on a school trip and the staff were fantastic. They got us all out," said one staff member.
"They have kept us informed." said another.
A spokesman for Superbowl UK said: "This was a minor fire in the kitchen which was put out by the sprinkler system quickly. "No one was hurt.
"We are looking to reopen sometime this afternoon."
Stay with us for updates