Investigation launched after 21 vehicles destroyed in Bury St Edmunds car dealership blaze
- Credit: Archant
A fire investigation has been launched after a blaze destroyed 21 vehicles at a Bury St Edmunds car dealership.
Fire crews were called to the Hammond Nissan dealership in Lamdin Road around 4am today and spent more than an hour and a half battling the blaze.
The cars went up in flames in the compound at the back of the dealership’s sales building and no cars on the forecourt were affected.
David Kindred, general sales manager, said: “It could have been a lot worse, no-one was hurt and the building stayed intact.
“There was a bit of superficial heat damage in the compound and the ground might need an element of resurfacing.
You may also want to watch:
“There are procedures for this sort of thing and it has all been dealt with in the correct manner.
“I wouldn’t like to speculate on the cost of the damage as it’s all with the insurance companies now.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 4 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 5 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 6 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 7 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
“We don’t know how it started, there is an investigation on going.
“But we’re open and it’s very much business as usual.”
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was extinguished around 5.48am.
Police were also called to the scene.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “We were called by the fire service just after 4.15am following reports of a fire at Lamdin Road in Bury St Edmunds.
“Multiple cars were reported on fire at the Nissan garage and we attended the scene for a short time.”