Investigation launched after 21 vehicles destroyed in Bury St Edmunds car dealership blaze
- Credit: Archant
A fire investigation has been launched after a blaze destroyed 21 vehicles at a Bury St Edmunds car dealership.
Fire crews were called to the Hammond Nissan dealership in Lamdin Road around 4am today and spent more than an hour and a half battling the blaze.
The cars went up in flames in the compound at the back of the dealership’s sales building and no cars on the forecourt were affected.
David Kindred, general sales manager, said: “It could have been a lot worse, no-one was hurt and the building stayed intact.
“There was a bit of superficial heat damage in the compound and the ground might need an element of resurfacing.
You may also want to watch:
“There are procedures for this sort of thing and it has all been dealt with in the correct manner.
“I wouldn’t like to speculate on the cost of the damage as it’s all with the insurance companies now.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 4 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 5 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 10 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
“We don’t know how it started, there is an investigation on going.
“But we’re open and it’s very much business as usual.”
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was extinguished around 5.48am.
Police were also called to the scene.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “We were called by the fire service just after 4.15am following reports of a fire at Lamdin Road in Bury St Edmunds.
“Multiple cars were reported on fire at the Nissan garage and we attended the scene for a short time.”