Crews tackle warehouse blaze
FIREFIGHTERS were last night tackling a major blaze at a warehouse in Great Bentley.Emergency services were called to the Great Bentley Business Park in Plough Road at around 6pm after smoke was seen coming from a building.
FIREFIGHTERS were last night tackling a major blaze at a warehouse in Great Bentley.
Emergency services were called to the Great Bentley Business Park in Plough Road at around 6pm after smoke was seen coming from a building.
Initial reports suggested there could be someone trapped inside and firefighters wearing special breathing apparatus entered the premises.
Fire crews from Weeley, Brightlingsea, Clacton and Colchester were joined by the aerial ladder platform in Chelmsford as they attempted to tackle the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
However last night Sgt Michael Harridge, who with other police officers had sealed off the area, said the four people with official access to the unit - believed to be a car repair shop- had been accounted for.
Speaking at the scene, shortly after 9pm, he said that although firefighters had managed to search the ground floor of the premises they had not been able to access the top floor.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
“I understand it is still ablaze at the moment,” he said.
“The units next door to the original scene of the fire have also been damaged. One is a fire shop, and the other a kitchen place. We understand there may be some gas cylinders in there and that is a concern.”
A crowd of local people had assembled at the end of the road leading into the business park.
One said: “I got here at 7.25pm and it was ablaze. It seemed to get worse but I didn't hear any explosions but I have heard there might be gas canisters in there.”