Murder arrest over death in Michael Barrymore's pool
- Credit: PA
A 50-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the indecent assault and murder of Stuart Lubbock, who died at the home of celebrity Michael Barrymore.
The Cheshire man, who was arrested today, remains in custody where he continues to be questioned.
Mr Lubbock was found unconscious in Mr Barrymore's swimming pool in Roydon on March 31, 2001.
Despite attempts to save him, he later died in hospital. The 31-year-old had been attending a party at the house with eight other people.
Det Supt Lucy Morris said: "Following the arrest, we immediately notified the Lubbock family.
"The arrest comes after significant new information came to light following our renewed appeal for information and offer of an enhanced reward, which coincided with a [Channel 4] TV documentary broadcast in February 2020.
"This information has led to us making an arrest and over the coming days we will be contacting all those who were present at the party at the time as well as others who may have information."
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
A post-mortem examination found Mr Lubbock had suffered horrific injuries which are believed to be the result of a serious sexual assault prior to his death.
Mr Barrymore, now 68, was arrested in 2007 but never charged with any offence.