Man jailed after being found with knife near Colchester town centre
A 22-year-old has been jailed for 18 weeks after being found with a knife in Colchester while out of prison on licence.
Officers from Essex Police stopped a car that was being driven away from officers the wrong way down a one-way street on Tuesday, November 2.
Ben Goodspeed, of Monkwick Avenue in the town, was in the car. He was found to have a blade while on licence for a serious assault which took place in Osborne Street, Colchester, in January 2018.
He admitted GBH with intent after stabbing his victim and was jailed for seven years in November 2018.
On Thursday, November 4 this year, he admitted the knife offence at Colchester Magistrates’ Court and was jailed for 18 weeks.
Sergeant Lee Palmer, of the North Disruptor Team, said: “Goodspeed committed this offence while out on licence for a serious offence.
“Thankfully, my officers decided to stop the car he was in, which has resulted in a knife being taken off the streets of Colchester.
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 3 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 6 See inside this 'chocolate box' cottage up for sale for £435,000
- 7 Mike Bacon: Luke Woolfenden.... going nowhere, going everywhere
- 8 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 9 Excitement builds as Suffolk Show venue wakes up
- 10 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
“Within two days, he was in front of the court and was handed another prison sentence.
“Rest assured that successful stops such as this are just one of the many duties that my team carries out across the north of the county to keep our communities safe.”