Man jailed for 'absolutely disgraceful' attack on police officers

Alfie Butler was jailed for attacking two police officers

Alfie Butler was jailed for two-and-a-half years at Chelmsford Crown Court - Credit: Essex Police

A Colchester man who bit and violently attacked two police officers - leaving one with a fractured hand - has been jailed by a judge. 

Police were called to a property in New Road, Feering, near Colchester, on Sunday, September 20, 2020, following a disturbance, Chelmsford Crown Court heard. 

When officers arrived, they found 27-year-old Alfie Butler trying to force his way into the home of a young family, who were known to him, and attempting to kick down the door.

As the two officers, one male, one female, approached, Butler jumped over the gate into the back garden and began trying to climb a fence, the court heard. 

As the two constables tried to grapple with Butler, he struck the policeman in the face before pushing the policewoman to the ground. 

The officers managed to tackle Butler to the floor where, as they tried to handcuff him, he repeatedly kicked the female officer and bit the hand of the male PC. 

The policeman suffered a deep bite wound and fracture to his hand and had to have bone fragments removed from the wound.

Most Read

The policewoman was left with injuries to her back and legs . 

Butler of St Peter’s Street, Colchester, was charged with assaulting an emergency worker and causing grievous bodily harm with intent to resist arrest.

He admitted the charges at a hearing at Chelmsford Crown Court on Thursday, March 18, and was jailed for two-and-a-half years. 

Following the sentencing, investigating officer DC Red Leeson of Braintree CID, said: “Every day the hard-working men and women of Essex Police work hard to protect our communities, they run into the face of danger while others walk away - they never know what they will face.

“On this occasion our two officers responded to a 999 call from a young family in distress who were terrified at Butler trying to kick down their door and force his way into their home.

“What happened next was absolutely disgraceful – in trying to apprehend Butler and protect the family inside, our colleagues were subjected to a violent attack which left both of them with multiple injuries.

“Despite the attack on both officers and the level of violence they faced, they did not give up until they had arrested Butler and ensured the family inside the property were safe. Both officers are a credit to Essex Police.

“Attacks on emergency workers are not acceptable – we are the people who turn up to work every single day to help our communities – and thankfully our criminal justice partners recognise this and that is reflected in the sentence handed down to Butler.”