Man arrested after MP stabbed at constituency surgery
- Credit: Google Maps
A man has been arrested after Conservative MP David Amess was stabbed several times during a constituency surgery.
The 69-year-old was attacked today, Friday, October 15 at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea in his Southend West constituency.
South Suffolk MP James Cartlidge tweeted about the incident, saying: "Terribly, terribly shocking, such a decent & kind man, all thoughts & prayers with David."
A spokesman for Essex Police said: "We were called to reports of a stabbing in Eastwood Road North shortly after 12.05pm today
"Officers were on scene shortly after, arrested a man and recovered a knife.
"He is currently in custody.
"We are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident and do not believe there is an ongoing threat to the wider public."
- 1 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 4 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 5 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 6 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 7 A14 lane closure in Bury St Edmunds after two-car crash
- 8 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 9 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
- 10 Suffolk market town will lose its Post Office in June
Anyone with any information should contact Essex Police quoting the crime reference number 445 of October 15.