Man, 58, who went to Ipswich pub to meet 'schoolgirl' is jailed
- Credit: Archant/Suffolk Police
A 58-year-old man who was lured to The Cricketers pub in Ipswich to meet a decoy schoolgirl after discussing having sex with her with an undercover police officer he believed to be her stepfather has been jailed for 44 months.
Sentencing Darren Heather, Recorder Graham Huston described the discussions between him and the undercover officer leading up to the meeting as “sickening".
Darren Heather was arrested after meeting the undercover officer called ‘Robbie’ at The Cricketers pub in Ipswich with the expectation of them both having sex with the fictitious 13-year-old girl called ‘Riley’, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Meyrick Williams, prosecuting, said when Heather was arrested he was found in possession of condoms, a blue thong and some strawberry jam.
He told police the communication with the undercover officer had been “fantasy” and he had no intention of having sex with the “schoolgirl.”
Heather, of Silver End, Witham, admitted attempting to arrange or facilitate the commission of a child sex offence.
In addition to being jailed he was made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order until further notice and ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for life.
- 1 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 2 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 3 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Family left homeless after bungalow destroyed in fire
- 7 NHS 'wargames' collapse of West Suffolk Hospital building
- 8 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 9 Huge country home with no near neighbours up for sale for £1.45m
- 10 Police release CCTV images after man suffers broken nose in attack
Peter Spary, for Heather, described his client, who has no previous convictions, as “naive” and said he regretted what he did.