Former Highpoint inmate accused of assaulting two prison officers
- Credit: Archant
A former inmate at a Suffolk jail has appeared in court charged with assaulting two prison officers.
John Ryan appeared before Ipswich Crown Court on Wednesday afternoon to face two counts of common assault on an emergency worker.
The 49-year-old, who is now serving at HMP Wormwood Scrubs, is alleged to have assaulted prison officers Gray and De Oliveira in the execution of their duties on Friday, October 30 last year, at Highpoint prison, near Haverhill.
Prison officers are defined as emergency workers under section 3(1) of the Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018.
Ryan has yet to enter a plea to either of the charges.
The hearing was adjourned for two weeks, until Wednesday, August 18, at the same court, to allow prosecutors to obtain CCTV or body worn video of the alleged incident.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes